The Presbytery of Northern Kansas is a regional body of 67 Presbyterian congregations and 7,798 members covering 33 counties including rural, urban, and suburban areas of Northern Kansas. To learn more about the mission of this regional governing body, go to www.pnks.org.
We are a member congregation of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) For over 200 years, Presbyterians have shared in God’s work, in their communities, nation, and world. Today, more than two million people call the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) their spiritual home. Worshiping in 10,000 Presbyterian congregations throughout the United States, they engage the communities in which they live and serve with God’s love. To learn more about the PCUSA, go to www.pcusa.org.
The purpose of the Synod of Mid-America is to strengthen its partner Presbyteries, and to support and enable them to do ministry that a particular Presbytery cannot accomplish alone. Members of the Southern Kansas Presbytery serve the Synod of Mid-America as Commissioners or through participation on various Synod Committees. To learn more about the mission of this regional governing body, go to synodma.org.
In response to the Good News of Jesus Christ, Heartland Presbyterian Center provides hospitality and programming in a natural setting for individuals, families, churches, and the community. Heartland offers camps for children, youth and families throughout the summer. Heartland is also a location for retreats and meetings.
Founded in 1958, Heartland Presbyterian Center is a mission of the Presbyteries of Heartland and Northern Kansas, Synod of Mid-America, Presbyterian Church (USA), providing shelter, nurture and spiritual fellowship for the children of God. Heartland is accredited by the American Camp Association. To learn more about Heartland go to www.heartlandcenter.org.
AELC is a consortium of three downtown businesses/organizations that partner to provide child care to employees and only of those three organizations. AELC uses space in First Presbyterian and is part of the Topeka Day Care Learning Centers. Inc. (TDC). For more information about TDC and to learn about other TDC child care centers please contact. 785.272.5051.
March 25, 2020
Dear Members and Friends of First Presbyterian Church,
As you already know, the church Session met on March 16, 2020 and made important decisions in accordance with state and federal guidelines. Those decisions were as follows:
- Worship in the church building has been discontinued through May 9th (regular worship to resume on May 10th).
- All events and activities scheduled at the church building have been cancelled during this timeframe.
- The church office has been open by appointment only.
Due to the continued spread of the COVID-19 virus and in accordance with the Stay-At-Home Order issued by Shawnee County, the church office will be closed effective Thursday, March 26, 2020. FPC staff have in place work from home capabilities, so that the work of the church continues. Some staff defined by the County’s order as an “essential function” will remain present at the church, however, there will be no one available to answer the church phone. Despite this, we want to stay connected with you! Please continue to reach out to the church via staff email and for urgent matters, please call Sandra or me on our cell phones. Our contact information is listed at the bottom of this email.
Please remember, these temporary changes do not mean that being a church is canceled. During this time when you cannot get to church, we are doing things to bring the church to YOU!
- Our pastoral staff, with some help from others, will continue to record brief video messages and email them to you, several times each week. We will also post these messages on our church’s Facebook page.
- Sunday worship videos will continue to be sent to you to watch in the comfort of your own home. Worship videos will also be posted on FPC’s Facebook page and on our church Website.
- Online giving is now available! Thank you so much- you are such generous people and many of you have already taken advantage of our online giving capabilities. If you would like to donate to your church online, you may go to our website at donate.fpctopeka.org and click on the “online giving” button. Your financial support is vital to our ministry, even when the building is closed.
- Please continue to share prayer requests with us by email, our website or by calling Sandra or me—we love to pray for you by name!
Please know we are keeping each of you in our thoughts and prayers during these unprecedented times and we continue to love you from afar. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Yours in Christ,
Emergency contact information
Pat’s cell phone: 785-608-7540
Sandra’s cell phone (not available through March 31): 913-787-6162