Director of Communications
Job Classification: Non-Exempt; Part-time
Work Schedule: Twenty (20) hours per week
Reporting Relationship: Pastor/Head of Staff
The First Presbyterian Church of Topeka is seeking a part-time Director of Communications to work closely with the pastors, staff, and church leaders in communicating the brand and telling the story of the congregation’s mission and ministry. This position is responsible for managing the messaging that supports the vision, goals and values of the church through relevant print, web and video mediums.
The ideal candidate will possess strong technical knowledge, creativity, visual and verbal abilities, and the skill set needed to excel as a communications director. They must be a self-starter who can strengthen our brand and keep growing our online presence through various social media platforms. The prospective individual must also be an efficient organizer, planner, and manager.
• Oversees all social media for the church.
• Develops and maintains an outstanding website.
• Oversees the livestreaming of worship services; edits, uploads and distributes videos of the service.
• Becomes knowledgeable about our church and its history.
• Publishes the monthly newsletter (may increase to twice/month during pandemic).
• Creates and distributes our electronic weekly announcements.
• Assists with other internal communications as needed, such as PPT presentations.
• Coordinates communications with the pastors and staff.
• Attends (when in-person Sunday worship resumes) Sunday morning worship; other church activities as appropriate (as required by the Head of Staff).
• Works with our Neighborhood Ministries Team to more effectively reach out to newcomers and to our community.
• Oversees all advertisements, ensuring consistency with our brand; write press releases for the Topeka Capital Journal; reach out to TV stations as appropriate.
• Works patiently and professionally with church members, remembering they are volunteers.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as communications, marketing, journalism, etc.
• Proven track record in design, production, marketing, advertising, external communication, media, website design and maintenance, general knowledge of video production, and public relations.
• Ability to cultivate strong relations with external media.
• Experience in managing social media strategy and communications, as well as keeping up on current trends.
• Experience working with volunteers.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Outstanding organizational abilities.
• Ability to maintain the highest levels of confidentiality.
• Uphold and work within the policies and procedures of the First Presbyterian Church, Topeka, KS.
• Ability to frequently reach with hands and arms.
• Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
• Ability to read computer screens, e-mail and mail, talk on the phone.
• Ability to work some evenings and weekends and attend events required.
• Ability to stand and walk, frequently.
• Ability to lift and push/pull up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
• Professional and deadline-oriented environment in an office setting.
• Interaction with staff and parishioners.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
If you are interested and would like to apply for this job, please call 785-233-9601 or email Sandra Brown at email@example.com.