Our Fellowship Team provides opportunities to bring people together in a community, within a company of equals, allowing all of us, including guests and new members, to make, or remake, a personal commitment to Christ. We do this in a manner that provides a “Fun” atmosphere, which is inviting to all and welcomes all to participate. Christ calls us to be in community together and to make disciples of all people. The Fellowship Team works to bring a less formal setting for all to enjoy themselves and this special community of believers, while at the same time providing opportunities for people to deepen their relationship with Jesus Christ.
Welcoming Newborns As families welcome a new member into their family, the church also celebrates with the family. Shortly after the birth, an announcement is placed in a worship service bulletin and newsletter. A rose is also displayed in the Sanctuary for the family to take home and enjoy after the service. Members of the Children and Family Life Team present the family with a handmade baby blanket and a warm meal.
Easter Egg Hunt and Cookout Families with infants through elementary school are invited to the Easter Egg Hunt. Various games and activities are held along with a simple egg hunt for the youngest and a more lively and challenging hunt for the older children.
Family Fellowship Events Various opportunities are offered throughout the year for families with children to enjoy a time of fellowship with other families. These types of activities include dinner parties, swim parties, trips to local venues such as the Kansas Children’s Discovery Center or the Mulvane Art Museum. Child care is often provided at parties to help give parents time to enjoy each others company.
Youth stay busy at First Presbyterian with their own gatherings, special activities, trips and by being involved throughout the church in different ways. As individuals in their schools and community, they are also busy with organizations and team events so for now, it works best to meet as a group about twice a month between September and May. Youth also try to get together during the summer with special activities. Youth usually meet right after church in the Youth Center or at other times and days depending on the activity. Friends are always welcome! Check out the list of upcoming events on this page.
Here are some of the ways youth get involved!
- Youth explore and learn more about their faith on Sunday mornings with their small group leader. They also attend out of town youth rallies and national youth conferences in other states. They check out films and hold small group discussions about subjects that matter to them. For more information about Educational opportunities for youth, please follow this link to: Educational Ministries for Youth.
- Youth lead in worship with an annual Youth Service and throughout the year by helping with ushering, children’s moments, liturgy, acolytes and more. For more information about youth and worship, please follow this link to: Children and Youth in Worship
- Youth serve those in need locally and nationally through initiatives such as: helping provide Thanksgiving meals to families through the Harvest Offering; raising funds and food on Super Bowl Sunday for national Souper Bowl of Caring and Doorstep’s Souper Bowl food drive; midnight shopping for gifts to give Kansas Children’s Service League sponsored families during our annual Christmas Mission Lock-In; participating in our annual summer Go-and-Serve mission trip. We also help with other local organizations as individuals or occasionally as the youth group. For more information about youth and service, please follow this link to: Serving Topeka
- Youth reach out to the younger and older members in our church family. They help with activities like Vacation Bible School, church-wide Fellowship Activities, Graduating Senior Day, Nursery and Playroom, Easter Egg Hunt and more.
- Youth enjoy connecting with God and each other through an annual Senior High Ski Trip, Mid- Hi Madness events, retreats at Heartland Conference Center, overnight Lock-Ins, good food, swim parties, Christmas party and more.
Small Group Discussion: “The Future” – Perhaps graduation and college is just around the corner for you with major changes and decisions. Perhaps you just started high school or middle school and you’re just trying to figure out your place with so much that is new. Join us in the Youth Center for lunch and break out talks for each group.
Church Wide Fellowship Church wide events such as Welcome Sunday at the beginning of each program year in the fall; the annual fall Church Picnic, the church’s winter Annual Meeting which includes a meal and at the end of the program year we celebrate the church’s birthday with a special event on Pentecost Sunday in late spring.
Dinners for Eight groups bring together church members and visitors into small dinner groups that meet in homes or restaurants over the course of several months. Another fun event is the recurring church-wide dinners at local restaurants.
Ladies Night Out events are offered for women who wish to experience a broad range of spiritual, social and educational opportunities in a comfortable environment. Recent activities have gathered women at the Garden House at Lake Shawnee, under the ‘Red Tent’ in Disciples Hall, at a home for a Book Review, and on an overnight retreat at Heartland Presbyterian Center.
Especially for Men
Men are not left out of the Fellowship activities! We offer occasional Men’s Night Out events centered on a sports event.
Young Adult Fellowship
Fellowship Activities for Young Adult Singles and Couples without children are under development!
The Ministry of Friendship A sign-in register is used during worship, to offer the opportunity for members and visitors alike to share contact information and let us know of their desire for further information or conversation.
The Invitation to Christian Discipleship Each Sunday worship service ends with one of the pastors offering an invitation to make or to deepen a personal commitment to Jesus Christ. The pastors are available after church and through the week, for conversation with all who desire conversation and prayer about their response to this invitation.